Wednesday, January 5, 2011

skirts ... tick!

I am totally taking advantage of having some time to just make things for myself. On the weekend, I sewed up two skirts that have been on my "to do" pile of sewing for about 4 months. Both are made using using my favourite skirt pattern, Simplicity 2906 - only 2 pattern pieces, twill tape facing around the waist, split on the side seam and a zip. The other bonus is that depending on the width of the fabric, it usually takes less than a metre of material. I have made a few of these in the past, so now I can cut one out and sew it in just over an hour (if I have no interruptions - unheard of around here!). The first one is made from "Birdsong" by Echino (bought from Patchwork on Central Park) ...


The second one is made from "Trumpet Flowers" by Amy Butler (bought from Clegs) ...


I made about 3 of these skirts last summer and wear them to death, so it's been nice to have a couple of new ones. I'd be keen to know if you have a favourite skirt pattern - it's nice to have a fallback pattern, but nice to try new ones too. Flicking through pattern books in Spotlight with a 4 year old is one of my least favourite things to do!

Hope you're enjoying your break too, and getting some good sewing therapy (if that's your thing)!

14 comments:

Annie said...

Love them Nic. Just got into skirts last year - had forgotten how much fun they were - might try your fav pattern. I like the Amy Buttler one. It was very easy - a prerequisite for garment sewing and me!

Christiana said...

Both of these skirts are totally awesome. I think I need to get this patterns as one of my new years resolutions was to wear more skirts this year.

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Skirts and scarf are great, love the Echino fabric - isn't it nice to have this space in between for personal projects...

Jackie @ Fred-and-Cissy said...

The skirts look fantastic! I noticed that there's a pattern sale on down the road, so I think I might go check it out. I made Vogue 7937 during spring, and liked it because you can make quite a simple skirt or add details like belt loops, pleats, etc.

Kelly Casanova said...

Love the skirts and the fabrics! No, don't have a fave skirt pattern, probably because I don't get much time to sew for myself!

Michelle said...

Ooh snap! I have the same birdsong skirt but in green! It's just the most beautiful fabric. So nice to see you too are feeling the skirt love!

Teek said...

oh just gorgeous.. I am glad you are finally doing some sewing for YOU!

Kate said...

Gorgeous Nic! I was staring at that top fabric for ages yesterday in Ballarat patchwork thinking what a gorgeous skirt it would make. Then I remembered that its school holidays and not to plan something that probably wont happen.

Georgy said...

Love the first one especially. Not only do they look great but I bet comfortable to wear also. G

Mookah Studio said...

Love the echino fabric. There is a bit of skirt making going on here at the moment too....

Caroline said...

Love your skirts, love them both equally, can't pick a favourite. I always like to hear what patterns people like. I have just made another reversable wrap around (instructions from Mrs Guldie blog) and I love it, two skirts in one, but the total fabric you need means a lot more $$.

koralee said...

So beautiful...I love Amy Butler! These would be perfect for a nice Spring day...thanks for sharing....Thursday hugs to you...and thanks for visiting me the other day. xoxo

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Happy New Year Nic :)
Great skirts! LOVE the Echino! Amy Butlers Barcelona skiry is my fav pattern. With out the lining and with binding on the top and bottom ;) Have made 5 in a month. It's that good xox

Pippi creates said...

What gorgeous skirts. I love them both. I love the birdsong, its very beautiful. And there is nothing like emphasising a gorgeous fabric with a simple pattern. I have a couple of those ready to make, just need to find the time... Lovely to see you making some stuff for yourself :)